Sunday, August 28, 2005

Surrender Naturally

My friend Jason Ray and I recently went to an amusement park. Normally, I would not do this, but I like to think of myself as open to the experiences that life has to offer. I am the one on the right. Needless to say, I was not amused.

What I find strange is the huge difference in how we are both experiencing the same event. Jason is smiling, eyes wide open- clearly exhilarated by what is going on. I, on the other hand, white knuckled and terrified, do not cherish this moment. It is a snapshot. A moment in time, captured, and it will forever serve as a reminder of the true nature of how I am experiencing life on this planet. Much to my horror and dismay, Jason insisted that we buy keychains with this image on them. It was still early in the day and we still had many more rides to go on. I stared at that photo as we waited in line. This was not the image that I wanted. I made a resolution that I would consciously change my experience, that I would embrace it. I worked very hard on this as we rode several more roller coasters and I am happy to report that in the end, I was no longer shitting my pants.

It was a good day after all. I learned something about myself and about the nature of surrender. Though I don't see myself being hurled through the sky anytime soon, I know that I can choose my own reactions. I guess in a way, I do cherish this photo. Note to self: Stop Screaming and Enjoy the Ride!

No comments: