Saturday, December 03, 2005

What was I doing?

Recently, I have noticed a rather disturbing behavior in myself. When I walk into another room in my apartment, I forget what my original purpose was and end up doing something entirely different. This is made even more disturbing when you consider the fact that I only have three rooms. It's not exactly Hearst Castle up in here.

Earlier today, when I went into the kitchen to retrieve light bulbs and I ended up cooking a three course meal. Only when I returned to the darkened living room did I remember the bulbs, but by then I was too tired from eating to do anything about it. And just a moment ago, I went into the bathroom to take some vitamins and found myself plucking random hairs for fifteen minutes. I believe that I am too young to have Alzheimer'’s but this is starting to freak me out.

Actually, it'’s rather nice to have so much free time that I can randomly wander about finding new and intriguing things to do, but it is a bummer to forget my purpose. Wait, what was I writing about?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've done that my whole life: walked into a room and not known why I was there. "I came in here for a REASON," I will say to myself, "but I have no idea what that reason is." To figure it out, I have to retrace my steps, return to the room I was in before, stand still for a moment, and wait to recover a thought that will tell me why I left that room in the first place.

If this is a sign of Alzheimer's, I've had it since I was about five years old. My case must be particularly slow in developing, because as anyone who knows me can attest, I have a particularly good memory.

I think the phenomenon has more to do with intentionality, with not being clear about our futures, instead of having some sort of trouble maintaining a grasp on the past.