Wednesday, August 02, 2006

In The Details

I had no idea, for the longest time, that Details was a gay magazine. It's not an out and out "gay" mag, but as a friend pointed out to me, it pretty fucking gay. Augusten Burroughs writes for it from time to time and every issue ends with the "Gay or __________" segment. I don't really know why I am mentioning this.

I suppose it stems from a giant argument I had with JR last night about Caravaggio versus Rembrandt. It started with me explaining that this painting I did of Jesse Metcalf was inspired by the chiaroscuro works of Caravaggio. JR saw only Rembrandt and I took great offense to that. I guess there are worse things than having your work compared to Rembrandt, but I was not having it.

My job requires immense attention to details. Very boring details, often times, yet I dutifully pay attention to them. I don't know if it is God or the Devil that reveals itself in the details, but I am sure that it is a power from another level. Isn't it the strange and beautiful details that tend to capture our collective imaginations? Dale seems to be aware of this. I wish that we could all frolic a little more "in the follow through" from time to time.

I regret that I cannot always turn lead into gold. I am a bad alchemist, sometimes. When the wind blows this hard, I can't always make out the words.

Listening tends to throw off my equilibrium. And yet, here I am, stuck in the details...

8 comments:

Dale said...

I have no idea what you're talking about. Boring.

Saviour Onassis said...

Sorry that I bore you, Dale.

Dale said...

Of course you don't. It was those boring details you were talking about silly. You're strange, beautiful and detailed as a fine Saviour should be.

ziggystardust73 said...

details schmetails.

or is that not the point... ?

mellowlee said...

I used to read Details. Back in early to mid 90s when this lady named Ana, or Anya or Anika wrote a sex column in it. She was great!

Rembrandt, wow. The only artist my work has ever been compared to is Basquiat *giggle* and Vieh insisted it was a compliment tho I didnt see it at the time. Her work reminds me of a combination of Van Gogh, Chagall and a local artist named ManWoman (i used to webmaster his website and was best friends with his daughter) I love all of your paintings Sav!

As for details, ug, I'm too A.D.D. to pay attention. It's not a good thing!

Anonymous said...

For reasons I cannot identify, reading this made me burst into tears.

Caravaggio. He is one of my favorite painters. Isn't admiration for him one of the things we bonded over?

Saviour Onassis said...

For reasons I cannot identify... God, I love you Holly.

Yes, we have bonded over many a beautiful thing.

To everyone else: There is a reason, easily identified, that it is called paying attention. How expensive am I?

Reese said...

I love your paintings, Saviour.