Friday, July 14, 2006

The IKEA Drama

JR and I signed papers for the new apartment today. We got our keys and checked out the new paint job. I really love the place and can't wait to get all my stuff in there. Mostly, I am excited about the new bed that I am currently in the process of buying. This is the one I picked out at IKEA:

Of course, I would never use a baby blue blanket. Imagine something more vibrant in it's place, like me...naked.

I guess it was a mistake to look around too much, because IKEA has a way of making the interior decorator in me go wild. We looked for a new slipcover for the couch I have, but it's no longer in stock. We thought about the possibility of getting a whole new couch for our funky seventies apartment. There was this orange one that would look great with the white rock fireplace and the black shelves that I had agreed to.

Of course, JR thought it would look better in a Sand color, which I think just looks like dark white. I believe a light colored couch is a major mistake and I immediately protested. I hate things that blend in and match. I spent to many years of my life trying desperately to do just that. The carpet is sand colored and the rock fireplace is in the same scheme.

CUT TO: the two of us bickering like Lucy and Ricky at IKEA over a couch that neither of us can afford. I may have threatened to kill myself before ever buying a white couch, I don't know. It was rather silly and JR finally refused to discuss it any further. My whole point was that I believe that color adds warmth and inspiration to a room. He said: "I like things sterile." I don't want to live in a hospital, so we had to stop talking about it. For now, we will live with the old IKEA couch I already own. It was white, but has turned darker over the years. It sort of looks like sand. I keep it covered with colorful blankets and throws. That's where JR has been sleeping lately.

It has been a trying week as far as personal space goes. Two people cannot spend every waking (and sleeping) hour together in a small space without some tensions arising. Overall, it's been okay. We both like the same foods, so that's something. We smoke and fight and pack and laugh at strange things. Someday, we will probably look back at this week with fond memories, but for now, we can't wait to get out of here. It won't be long now.

And the next trip we take to IKEA, we are going our separate ways. That's what Lucy and Ricky would do.

9 comments:

mellowlee said...

*screams* the ORANGE one! Not that it makes any diff, cause u aren't getting a new one, but I justhadto put my damn two cents in.

Hey, you got any orange fun fur? *giggles* that would look crazy on your current couch.

Good luck with the rest of the packing. Do you keep the boxes your appliances come in? I don't, my sister does. She has a much easier time moving than I do. There is a lot to be said for being OCD! xoxox

ziggystardust73 said...

IKEA is the spiritual home of divorce.

I once threw an IKEA pot at my then partner's head in the middle of the store before storming out to the car (for which my partner actually had the keys).

That place is the devil's lair for couples. (or friends sharing together and deciding on furniture.)

Saviour Onassis said...

Mel- As you recall, we did get an orange furry beanbag chair already. So, in a way, I have won. We just have to resign ourselves to the fact that the apartment will look sort of strange for a while. Thanks for taking my side, though. And no, I don't keep appliance boxes, which makes it much harder...

Zig- It is the devil's lair, indeed. JR has been in "alpha male" mode all week, which makes me feel like throwing more than a pot at him... I think IKEA means "the end" in Swedish.

Anonymous said...

I would never use a baby blue blanket. Imagine something more vibrant in its place, like me...naked.

I'd rather imagine your gorilla and cookie monster together, making out, if that's OK. I mean, I love you, but not that much.

Dale said...

I can never find my way out of the damned place at all so good for you.
So is Lucy the Swedish meatball in this whole cautionary tale?

Saviour Onassis said...

Holly- Whatever works for you, babe.

Dale- There was definitely a meatball involved.

mellowlee said...

One day I would like to go to IKEA and curl up and fall asleep on one of those loft beds. They look so cozy the way they have them set up.

Saviour Onassis said...

I used to go there and just dream about having room enough for new furniture, now that it's happening... I am in full blown trauma mode.

It's just too much!~

Dale said...

If I were you, I'd put out an album. That'll clear your stress.